Monday, January 12, 2015

Some technical tips for Serato.

Recently I've come across a few issues using Rane SL boxes with my computer and other peoples.  I had an issue one time where I couldn't get Serato to actually start, not knowing that the SL1 box I was connected to was a USB 1.0 device which (because of the specs of a Core I series computer) is incompatible with my machine.  Imagine showing up to a gig and not being able to perform because you can't figure out a "simple" hardware issue.

Luckily, I also use Traktor and a controller so I wasn't left completely in the lurch.  After I got home, I got online, determined to solve this problem.  I searched forums and tech guides and eventually found out that USB 1.0 devices will not work properly on Core I series computers with USB 2.0 or higher specs.  This is why the SL1 was discontinued.

Continuing to research, I finally discovered a solution (and a simple one at that) to the problem.  A USB 2.0 hub will allow the SL1 to be read by the computer.  I haven't had the issue since.

Another thing I discovered is that Serato should always be installed and run in Administrative mode.  The program takes priority over the audio system, reading and writing to the hard drive (file permissions come into play here), a certain amount of memory and the processor.  Another issue that this will help resolve is driver installation and sound card recognition.  Rane SL boxes will not start up unless the drivers have been installed with elevated privileges and the software must be installed or started the same way in order for them to work properly.  Installing the software in this way will avoid any issues but if you have already installed the software as a user then simply start the software in Administrative mode and the issues will  be resolved.

These 2 tips have helped me get up and running with minimal effort and I haven't had issues since I adopted these techniques.  I hope it helps you... Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment